Volunteers work in all six of our hospitals in a variety of patient care and service areas assisting us in reaching our goal of providing "quality health care right here". They also work with our Auxiliaries and Foundations to raise funds to purchase equipment for our hospitals.
Our volunteers give their time in over 40 different areas. They assist on nursing units, work in various clinics, operate gift shops, escort patients and visitors and give directions as well as assist staff in many different departments. Our wide range of opportunities means we can find a volunteer job to suit most individuals.
Volunteer opportunities for full or part time students are available in either our school year program (October – May) or summer program (May – August). Due to limited placement opportunities during the school year, preference is given to students in grade 11 and up. Most student volunteer opportunities require a minimum commitment of 2-4 hours per week.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Meet new people
- Give back to your community
- Help others
- Learn new skills and use those you already have
- Experience a new career option
- Add meaning to your life!
How do you qualify?
Requirements to be a Volunteer or Auxiliary member:
- Must be 14 years of age or older
- Have some free time to give as a volunteer (usually 2 to 4 hours per week)
- Be reliable
- Be willing to attend a mandatory orientation and have a two part TB skin test
- Those over 18 must provide a recent (done within one year of application) copy of a Police Background Check
- Care about others
- If joining the Auxiliary you may be required to pay a small annual membership fee
How to get involved:
If you are interested in volunteering or joining one of our Auxiliaries and you have questions, contact us:
Volunteer Resources Department
Grey Bruce Health Services
1800 8th Street East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 6M9
Phone: (519) 376-2121, ext. 2886
Or complete one of the applications below and we will contact you to set up an interview to discuss your interests and availability.
Apply to Volunteer at GBHS (apply online)
Apply to Volunteer at GBHS (download pdf form)